Position Details: Livelihood Advisor
GOAL Uganda- GOAL Relief & Development Organization, a global international organization that delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes including distributing food, water and shelter materials, health, child empowerment and protection, and livelihood programmes is seeking to fill the position of Livelihoods Advisor to support their country program. The successful candidate will be based in Kampala, and reporting to the Assistant Country Director- Programmes.
The person sought should be a dynamic person to support the strategic development of its livelihoods programme, following the 5-year livelihoods programme implementation strategy. The programme also wishes to support better understanding across our teams in GU’s new market systems development approach; as well as source new resources to scale up the livelihoods programme. The Livelihoods Advisor position is a full time position reporting to the ACD Programmes. He/She will be responsible for enhancing GOAL Uganda’s ability to deliver effective and high impact market development programming; review of market development interventions, tools and resources; and the empowerment and up skilling of GOAL livelihoods programme team members to implement market development interventions. They will also be responsible for learning and building on current successes to ensure that more of the programme participants are able to sustainably access and benefit from agricultural markets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy and Programme Development:
- To work with GOAL Uganda Management and the Global Livelihoods Advisor to develop GOAL Uganda’s Livelihoods Strategy ensuring that it reflects GOAL’s values and positions us to meet our mission. Lead technical oversight and direction for GOAL Uganda’s Livelihoods programme, further deepening our market systems development work.
- Conduct continuous market intelligence and assessments to inform programming including identification of sectors and value chains that have high potential to benefit programme participants.
- Ensure that our strategy explicitly mainstreams gender, HIV, the environment, disability and child protection.
- Ensure that the Uganda livelihoods strategy is directed by organisational strategy and provides clear measurable direction to GOAL’s national programme.
- To support the Assistant Country Director-Programmes and Country Director to represent our good quality programmes into successful donor proposals.
Review of Current Livelihoods Documents, including the 5 year programme implementation strategy:
- Review current livelihoods documents and provide constructive observations and recommendations for further expansion into Value Chain development and Access to Markets Work, ensuring fit with GOAL Values and Organisational Strategy.
- Highlight what modifications and document additions would be required in order to position GOAL Uganda field staff to better understand and engage in market systems development work.
- Through a short paper delivered in a presentation to SMT the Advisor will highlight GOAL’s current strengths and weaknesses in relation to their capacity to implement livelihoods programmes which actively contribute to value chain addition and how good the fit with GOAL is.
Work with the GOAL Uganda SMT and livelihoods team to develop and implement staff capacity building action plan:
- Provide livelihoods recruitment support as required.
- To assess staff capacity, plan and implement in house training as necessary.
- Develop and implement other specialized trainings as needed with staff and partners.
- Help mentor and develop technical skills in field teams.
- To write up a short capacity statement outlining GOAL Uganda’s strengths in livelihoods and our potential to implement good quality, well monitored livelihoods programmes which have a strong market systems development focus and assist our rural poor to access markets.
- To contribute towards livelihoods donor mapping.
- To assist GOAL Uganda to develop good quality project concept notes, and proposals, to donors as required.
Technical Advice and Support towards Programme implementation:
- To provide technical support and advice to GOAL field and DYNAMIC programme, especially with regards to market systems development approaches, and private sector partnership engagement/on-boarding.
- To ensure that all livelihoods projects contribute to integrated programmes which should provide a well-coordinated package of support to our clients along with our other key programme areas of HIV and Health (primarily water and sanitation). They will work with the other programme advisors, the GOAL mainstreaming focal persons, Private Sector Partners and District Local Government to ensure this.
- To review and where necessary develop GOAL livelihoods field guidelines in consultation with the livelihoods team.
- To keep up to date on developments in the livelihoods sector, to liaise with the Global Livelihoods and Markets Advisors and ensure that learning is incorporated into programming and shared with other staff.
- To conduct regular field visits to review and report on progress of Livelihoods interventions; specifically in relation to efficiency and effectiveness and to determine future programme development with a view to programme expansion and development.
- Provide feedback to the field team and Senior Management on key recommendations following completion of a technical visit.
- To reinforce the community conversations approach adopted by GOAL: working in partnership with communities in order to identify the needs of the population and to support GOAL’s interventions.
- To work towards supporting the implementation of GOAL’s approach to environment and resilience programming.
- As part of GOAL Uganda’s commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit the programme as well as themselves
- Actively represent GOAL on all appropriate livelihoods fora.
- To ensure that SMT and field staff are aware of Government policy direction and donor trends and opportunities.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with livelihoods working groups, donors and other development actors. Serve as a liaison to local and central governments regarding livelihoods programme policies, procedures, activities operations and requirements.
- The Livelihoods Advisor will additionally undertake from time to time certain other mutually agreed tasks relating to GOAL activities at the request of the ACD Programmes and Country Director.
Knowledge and experience required for the position:
- University degree in Agriculture, Agri-Business, economic development or other relevant field required; Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of ten years actual project management experience.
- Background in business or market/economic development, with a minimum of 5 years practical experience in the private sector, market development and/or related industry.
- Experience specifically on market systems development/M4P/market facilitation is REQUIRED.
- Proven ability to write good project concepts, proposals and high quality reports.
- Proven ability to develop successful donor proposals and high quality reports.
- Proven track record in adaptive management.
- Strong writing, communication, organization, prioritization and negotiating skills.
- Dynamic leader who can guide teams to believe in and follow a strong market development philosophy.
- An individual with initiative, who is performance driven and has considerable planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to travel up to 50% from base.
- Working knowledge of computer packages MS Word, Excel and email communication.
- Experience of working for international companies, organisations and NGOs.
- Working knowledge of major donors including USAID, EU, and major donor government development agencies.
- Strong group process design and facilitation skills, including developing and leading workshops, as well as group consensus building.
- Familiar with results chains and monitoring and evaluation frameworks.
Salary Offer: UGX 12,000,000 Gross.