CBA is the largest privately-owned bank in East Africa, with representation in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, and shortly planning entry into Rwanda. In addition to providing services to the Corporate and Personal Banking market segments there is now also strong focus on targeting the Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) segment. CBA is one of the leaders in innovation in the banking space, being the first to offer fully digital banking channels, M-pesa1 and M-shwari2 products, 105% mortgage financing and foreign currency based mortgages and credit cards. It has gained a good reputation for being one of the financial service providers to offer banking solutions tailored to each local market.
The purpose of the role is to ensure that all company expenses are properly authorized and charged to the relevant accounts and provision of accurate and timely information for management decision making while ensuring compliance with statutory requirements. Support the Administration department with office administration activities, process suppliers’ payments and manage petty cash.
• Ensure that proper books of accounts are kept in accordance with the International Financial
• Reporting Standards and the applicable laws and regulations in Rwanda.
• Quality and timeliness of financial reports to internal & external stakeholders.
• Dealing with Adhoc requests from external bodies compiling various Bank statistics.
• Participate in the Improvement and maintenance of procedures relating to Payments and Financial reporting.
• To ensure that all company expenses are properly authorized and charged to the relevant accounts.
• Quality of and maintenance of the fixed asset register.
• Quality of budget controls and variance analysis.
• Manage supplier payments.
• Prepare and present monthly financial performance accounts and reports.
• Preparation of daily and weekly central bank or other statutory required reports.
• Prepare and consolidate departmental budgets using provided background information;Remit statutory dues and file returns within specified deadlines
• GL maintenance and control
• Processing payments to suppliers.
• Preparation of monthly tax returns for review.
• Customer MIS reviews.
• Improvement and rationalization of payment procedures.
• Management of debtors and creditors ledger.
• Compiling of tax returns (specifically with-holding tax and VAT returns).
• Dealing with adhoc requests from external bodies compiling various bank statistics.
• Participate in the development and maintenance of policies and procedures relating to financial accounting.
• Implementing procedures, processes and audit recommendations relating to Finance.
• Monitoring SLA with respective departments.
• Monitoring reconciliations and disposition of reconciling items.
• Validate supplier invoices upon receipt by confirming receipt of goods or services according to CBA’s LPO’s and/or contract.
• Confirm or coordinate payment authorizations as per financial controls.
• Deduct with-holding tax and with-hold VAT as appropriate and forward for counter checking and approval. Approval is after satisfactory evaluation.
• Prepare cheques, carefully hologram and emboss the cheque and present for counter checking and signature to supervisor (2 signatures).
• Call suppliers for their cheques and issue them.
• Process accounting of supplier invoices and maintain payment records
• Prepare accounting journal entries to ensure appropriate accounts are debited and credited as per chart of accounts and relevant accounting policies.
• Post the original journal to MB and record cheque in the register.
• Filing of the paid documents.
• Performance of value for money analysis as and when requested.
• Knowledge and experience in modern financial accounting practices to initiate and implement tactical changes to support business performance.
• Technical skills to effectively perform and/or guide performance of financial accounting activities/tasks in a manner that consistently achieves high quality standards or benchmarks.
• Planning and organizing skills for effective planning and scheduling of own tasks to meet business requirements.
• Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with and manage customer expectations (internal and external), and other stakeholders who impact performance.
• Knowledge and experience in modern financial accounting practices to implement operational changes to support business performance.
• Technical skills to effectively perform the office & supplier payment administration activities/tasks in a manner that consistently achieves high quality standards or benchmarks.
• Knowledge and effective application of all relevant banking policies, processes, procedures and guidelines to consistently achieve required compliance standards or benchmarks.
• Performance Management to optimize own productivity.
• Self-empowerment to enable development of open communication, teamwork and trust that are needed to support performance and customer-service oriented culture.
Qualification And Experience Requirements
• University degree in preferably BBA, B.Com, B. Statistics.
• Relevant Accounting Knowledge (ACCA level 2 or equivalent).
• At least three years’ experience in Finance and Administration in a bank or financial services organization.
• Practical experience in use of relevant MS Office applications. Experience in SAP usage is preferable.