Our client is a leading development finance company that focuses exclusively on investing in small and growing businesses (SGBs) at the base of the SME pyramid. An entrepreneur-led business, GroFin was formally established in 2004 but grew out of the RAPS group of companies that has been investing in SME since 1999.
The role’s key purpose is to create sustainable impact through serving entrepreneurs in the SME sector with risk capital and business support, helping them to realize their full business potential and achieve long- term success.
The investment manager delivers tangible value to the SME clients and by doing so, achieves financial and impact returns on his/her transactions. A secondary purpose is to develop and share within the GroFin network knowledge and expertise in SME investment and support, including lessons learnt.
The position reports to the Investment Executive. Within the organization, the position has primary working relationships with the in-country investment team. Externally, the IM works mostly with referral networks and clients.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Identify, develop and maintain deal referral networks
- Measure and report on the effectiveness of such networks. Record all applications on Efront.
- Number of applications
- Number of screening
- Conversation application/screening
- Identify prospect needs and effectively sell GroFin value offering to fulfill these needs
- Screen applications efficiently, applying the GroFin Viability Model and the investment strategy and policy framework.
- Analyze and thoroughly verify and cross reference key assumptions underpinning the business plan. Build the financial model and conduct a proper risk assessment. Maintain verification records in line with GroFin document management system
- Structure viable transactions in line with the GroFin investment and pricing policy and product parameters.
- Draft high quality, focused and concise screening and finance reports that allow for efficient decision making within agreed time frames.
- Number of approvals and value
- Disbursement value
- Number of FC referrals
- Average investment process time line (application – disbursement) disbursed deals
- Up to date and accurate records
- Conduct a quarterly, formal portfolio visit and record the results on Efront.
- Follow up on all repayments due and make suitable arrangements to address potential arrears
- Restructure transactions that are viable and hand over those that are no longer viable
- Manage collateral and insurance policies on a quarterly basis and record results on Efront
- Collect and record impact data and ensure data integrity, in line with GroFin impact data strategy and policy
- UPI %, realization rate, level of arrears
SGB sustainability and growth
- Support the client in developing and implementing a robust business plan, financial plan and risk assessment and mitigation plan.
- Introduce ESG best practices and formalize business where appropriate and
- Support implementation of a financial management system that produces monthly management accounts
- Meet each client monthly and track performance of portfolio companies against the business financial plan. Identify any negative trends and deviations from the client’s operational and financial plan.
- Facilitate business linkages. Provide access to markets and business opportunities. Maintain a network of SME service providers.
- Keep abreast of all government legislations and regulatory requirements which may affect the operations of the portfolio companies
- Leverage GroFin’s expertise effectively for clients benefit
- % Client satisfaction
- % of management accounts received
- Sales growth clients
Investment Expertise and Knowledge
- Share success, knowledge and experience among the team and the wider network (MyGroFin)
- Actively contribute to the team and collaborate within and across teams
GroFin is a mission-driven for profit development finance organization that is run on strong commercial principles. The company recruits people that believe in the power of capital and market development to do bring about positive change in local communities.
The Company recruits people who are passionate about our sector and what we do, strong on ethics and committed to the success and sustainability of our clients and of GroFin.
GroFin works with local entrepreneurs who are looking to professionalize and grow their businesses. The company supports them with practical, specific and relevant business advice. This requires us to be accessible, down-to-earth, pragmatic, hands-on, professional, respectful and honest.
GroFin aims to develop long term relationships with its employees. The company invests in its employees for the long term and offers a solid career in an organization that is at the forefront of impact investment. Learning is part of the GroFin culture. Each employee, at every level, is conscious of the need to continuously raise her/his knowledge and skills. The willingness to learn is therefore a non-negotiable condition of employment.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
- 5+ years (junior investment manager: 2+: senior investment manager: 7+) of a demonstrated track record in investing or financing SMEs
- Advanced degree required. An MBA is preferred, as well as CFA or ACCA.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills
- Excellent credit management skills
- Excellent deal origination skills and a well-developed network with the local SME business and finance community (not applicable for junior role).
- Written and spoken language fluency in English essential.
KEY ATTRIBUTES AND COMPETENCIES
Relating and networking
- Establishes good relationships with customers and staff;
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts inside and outside the organisation;
- Relates well to people at all levels;
- Manages conflict;
- Uses humor appropriately to enhance relationships with others
Presenting and communicating information
- Speaks clearly and fluently;
- Expresses opinions, information, and key points of an argument clearly;
- Makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence;
- Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback;
- Projects credibility
Applying expertise and technology
- Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise;
- Develops job knowledge and expertise through continual professional development;
- Shares expertise and knowledge with others;
- Uses technology to achieve work objectives;
- Demonstrates an understanding of different organizational departments and functions
Learning and researching
- Analyses numerical data, verbal data and all other sources of information;
- Breaks information into component parts, patterns and relationships;
- Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem;
- Makes rational judgments from the available information and analysis;
- Produces workable solutions to a range of problems;
- Demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system
- Rapidly learns new tasks and quickly commits information to memory;
- Gathers comprehensive information to support decision making;
- Demonstrates a rapid understanding of newly presented information;
- Encourages an organizational learning approach (i.e. learns from successes and failures and seeks staff and customer feedback);
- Manages knowledge (collects, catalogues, and disseminates knowledge of use to the organisation)
Planning an organizing
- Sets clearly defined objectives;
- Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances;
- Manages time effectively;
- Identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks;
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction;
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity;
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity;
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way;
- Consistently achieves project goals
Achieving personal work goals and objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm;
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary;
- Identifies development strategies needed to achieve career goals and makes use of developmental or training opportunities;
- Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence
GroFin offers competitive compensation for the local development finance sector that will be commensurate with experience. Compensation includes a base salary and an annual bonus based on achievement of individual and institutional goals.