Job Purpose Statement
The adult insect rearing area of our client's animal feed facility will be an important unit in the overall process. This role ensures that our client’s vision for a successful adult rearing facility is actualized by bridging the gap between architects, engineers and contractors. Ultimately, this role is put in place to ensure successful implementation of the adult rearing facility on time and in full, within budget.
Key duties and responsibilities
The key responsibilities and duties of the Project Engineer will be related to locking a detailed facility and equipment design and ensuring the works are completed within specification, as well as starting up and operationalizing various components within the facility.
Key responsibilities more specifically include:
• Work with architects and engineers from consulting firms to design the adult facility, including foundation works, structural design, temperature and humidity control, facility layout and integration within the larger factory.
• Implement small scale design features into a pilot scale facility to trial different technical aspects of the plant.
• Design cages and shelves using R&D input for a scalable solution that is operationally practical.
• Integration of the equipment within the facility space.
• Work with procurement, finance and legal teams to source all necessary equipment and to tender major civil, electrical and mechanical work required for the adult facility.
• Develop process and material flows for normal operations.
• Act as key liaison between contractors and the project team.
• Manage on-the-ground foreman to quality-control construction works.
• Manage fellows to complete smaller R&D, design and trial work.
• Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
• At least 3 years’ experience in Civil or Structural Engineering design and construction; experience in Construction Management will be an added advantage.
• Ability to critically assess structural designs and assess quality works completed and in progress
• Ability to use CAD software and work with engineering drawings.
• Great interpersonal skills comfortable engaging with contractors and consultants.
• Can handle abstract problems and generate a range of possible solutions
• Resilient to setbacks, contingency plans.
• Flexibility – able to adjust to shifts in scope and timeline.
• Frequent field visits to the production facility.