Job Purpose Statement
Black Soldier Flies (BSF) larvae efficiently assimilate nutrients in biodegradable wastes (including fecal sludge) into insect biomass rich in high quality protein and lipids. Our cient's focus over the next few months is the construction of a larger processing unit and increasing the size of our BSF colony in order to upscale production volumes while establishing optimized production methods.
Our client is looking for an R&D Assistant on 12-month contract, supporting the R&D BSF team in testing new equipment and carrying out experiments to address bottle necks and challenges faced in our insect production facility.
Key duties and responsibilities
• Gain in-depth understanding of the larvae production process by working closely with the BSF production team, analyzing production data, identifying and prioritizing bottlenecks in production, and developing potential solutions.
• Conduct literature reviews and compile relevant references for assigned research projects and related topics.
• Develop research protocols for laboratory and field experiments for feedstock testing, optimization of egg production, hatching and larvae yield.
• Collaborate closely with BSF production team, incorporating feedback into experimental design and provide clear instructions and training on field experiments.
• Follow all safety policies and ensure that the required level of occupational health and safety is observed while conducting experiments.
• Provide reports and regular progress update on experiments following the standard reporting template including data analysis, interpretation and recommendations.
• Take samples and conduct routine laboratory analysis (i.e. moisture, pH, EC, microscopic images) for feedstock, insect samples and end products.
• Record data, follow up on field data collection, laboratory results as well as external results.
• Carry out data entry and analysis, update relevant data sheets accordingly and share results with all relevant stakeholders.
• Close collaboration within BSF team, across teams and with external stakeholders during site visits and research projects.
• Attend all scheduled meetings and company functions as required.
• Undertake other assigned duties and projects as required.
• Minimum of Second Class Upper Division Bachelor’s Degree in Entomology, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences or equivalent.
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office Applications.
• Basic laboratory skills.
• Knowledge on HACCP, six sigma and DOE will be considered an advantage
• Experience in lab work and conducting research projects.
• Experience in insect rearing is an advantage.
• Demonstrated capacity for self-organization.
• Must be a person with excellent skills in innovation, interpersonal skills, team player and able to work with minimum supervision.
• Detailed orientation and strong in analytical thinking.
• Willing to work in remote area.