Job Purpose Statement
Black Soldier Flies (BSF) larvae efficiently assimilate nutrients in biodegradable wastes (including fecal sludge) into insect biomass rich in high quality protein and lipids. Our Client's focus over the next few months is the construction of a larger processing unit and increasing the size of our BSF colony in order to upscale production volumes while establishing optimized production methods.
Our Client is looking for a Production Assistant Manager on 12-month contract, supporting the R&D Senior Engineer in the implementation of new technologies and optimization of day-to-day operation at our client's insect production facility.
Reports to: R & D Senior Engineer.
Key duties and responsibilities
Production facility management
• Develop, implement and monitor standardized insect production process ensuring consistent larvae outputs using appropriate means in the safest and efficient manner possible.
• Understand key metrics (and sub metrics) important to control larvae production, ensure the systems are setup to provide accurate data for these metrics on a real time basis, analyze this data to identify and prioritize bottlenecks in production and developing test plans for potential solutions.
• Provide feedback to BSF R&D team on bottle necks and provide input on continuous improvement projects in order to achieve key production parameters consistently.
• Develop suitable labelling and batch tracking system, ensure safe treatment, packaging and storage conditions for insect derived animal feed, establish and conduct final quality control for product.
• Develop, implement and evaluate occupational and environmental health and safety regulations, ensure up to date work instructions, conduct risk assessments and training materials.
• Prepare and complete routine maintenance inspections for insect production facility and equipment, to ensure facility is kept in good tidy order and malfunctioning of equipment is repaired to provide a professional and safe working environment.
• Responsible for striving for and meeting OKRs developed for the BSF production team.
• Support Production Team Supervisor in day-to-day operations, including provision of required equipment and material, development of shift and work plans, team training and performance management.
• Interview, hire and train new staff on need basis.
• Maintain high discipline, morale and personnel relations among the team.
Cross- team communication and collaboration
• Provide assistance to other teams during site visits or research projects.
• Attend all scheduled meetings and company functions as required.
• Undertake other assigned duties and projects as required.
• Minimum of Second Class Upper Division in Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering or equivalent.
• One year work experience is an added advantage
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office Applications.
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD or other design applications.
• Knowledge on mechanical skills, craftsmanship and prototype design
• Knowledge on HACCP, six sigma and lean will be considered an advantage
• Experience in implementation and optimization of Process Engineering projects.
• Team management experience
• Demonstrated capacity for self-organization.
• Must be a person with excellent skills in innovation, interpersonal skills, team player and able to work with minimum supervision.
• Strong in problem solving and analytical thinking
• Willing to work in remote area