Finance Officer/Administration Manager (FOAM)
Job title: Finance Officer/Administration Manager (FOAM)
The STARS program:The “Strengthening African Smallholders (STARS)” is a 5-year program running from 2016 to 2020, aiming to increase food security income of smallholder farmers in Rwanda, Ethiopia, Senegal and Burkina Faso by facilitating access to financial markets and agricultural services. Key to program is that it strives for market-based systemic change by developing and piloting business models in value chains and value chain finance that can be replicated by independent market actors. ICCO cooperation implements the program in collaboration with ICCO Terrafina and in partnership with The MasterCard Foundation.
Our model is based on three core activities:(1) To develop and implement innovative, sector specific agriculture financial products with MFIs for smallholder farmers; (2) To strengthen value chains and link smallholder farmers into these chains as well as linking them to financial and extension services (3) To broaden the evidence base in rural agricultural finance, value chain development and share lessons learned.
Specification of the job: Reviewing of financial reports, monitoring of accounts, preparing activity reports and financial forecasts at country level, connecting this with program indicators and outputs as per contracts with the Program Director, Consolidating the financial report to the donor and liaising with the regional financial controller on financial management of the program. The FOAM is responsible for the stewardship of ICCO STARS program assets and reputation by ensuring compliance with local laws, regulations, and member/donor requirements, whilst demonstrating exemplary financial leadership to the country finance teams. The FOAM liaises with the director of STARS on proposal writing and is responsible for sound budgets in line with ICCO’s costing requirements, advising on cost efficiency and effectiveness in financial expenditure and support the budget holders at countries in the region in tracking expenses vs. budget in the most efficient and timely manner.
Applicable countries: Rwanda, Ethiopia, Burkina Faso and Senegal
Reporting relationships: the FOAM reports to the director of STARS program and technically to the regional controller. He/she works in a multidisciplinary team and in direct cooperation with the program lead technically supervises the finance and administrative officers (FAOs) and Administrative Assistants.
Job category: Grade IV of the Rwanda salary scale or grade II of the third country nationals (TCNs) salary scale if the person can secure a Rwanda work permit.
Version: April 2017
Job summary: The FOAM is responsible for the content of budgets, financial reporting as well as overseeing the financial management and administration in the respective program offices.
· Ensure that financially sound systems are in place as per ICCO manuals and country laws.
· Ensure that programs and operational budgets for the STARS program in all implementing countries are prepared and submitted in a timely manner.
· Consolidation of country budgets and financial reports
· Financial analysis and assessment of partner organizations and program and project proposals (this can be delegated where possible).
· Preparations and monitoring of payments between ICCO cooperation and local organizations/local partners, co-implementers, consultants etc. as per contractual obligations.
· Financial monitoring and evaluation of programs, partner organizations and projects by analysis of financial reports audits.
· Preparing quarterly reports to Donor in a timely manner and efficiently.
· Identification of and advising on the financial capacity of partner organizations/co-implementers and partners.
· MIS reporting and budget performance for programs and countries.
· Responsible for facilitating both internal and external audits of the program.
· Analyze / review all management reports and advise program lead on efficient, effective and economical spending of funds on a monthly basis-value for money in our operations.
· Participate in supporting financial services given to local partners as well as being available to support monitoring evaluating and learning activities.
· Liaise with the Administrative assistant on all contract arrangements with the various service providers ensuring that contractual obligations are adhered to.
· Liaise with the FAQ on the legal and statutory compliance of the country offices including accurate statutory deductions on payroll.
· Ensuring that the office manuals are well maintained and updated on a regular basis.
· Supervising the finance and administration staff for efficient service delivery.
· Making authorization and approvals as per authorization matrix. In case of absence of financial staff (FAO etc) in country, the FOAM will be acting in the regards as per management decision and upon agreed ways of working for a defined time.
Key result areas:
· Budgeting and financial reporting.
· Financial analysis and assessment.
· Financial monitoring and evaluation.
· Financial administration and control.
· Performance management.
· Coaching and mentoring.
Person specifications:Qualifications and experience
· A university degree in finance and relevant professional qualifications in ACCA, CIMA, CPA or their equivalent.
· Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working in a reputable organization in financial and administrative management.
· Strong financial and system analysis capability.
· Financial and administrative knowledge on financial administrations on an advanced level.
· Experience in supervision of staff.
· Knowledge on financial management of development organizations, producers’ organizations and business initiatives in a multicounty setting.
· Knowledge on ICT systems.
· Communicative skills both in writing as verbally.
· Excellent language skills in English and French.
· Basic knowledge of development issues and international cooperation.
· Good knowledge of financial aspects on financing organizations.
· Strategic thinker.
· Openness and flexibility.
· Initiative and pro-activeness
· Focus, reliability and integrity.
· Strong influencing skills, sharp business acumen and sound judgment.
· Excellent communication skills,
· Affinity with the protestant character of ICCO and kerk in actie.
Terms of employment
· The ICCO RO CESA human resource manual is applicable regarding the terms of employment.
· 40 hours a week.
· Regular travel in the STARS countries.