Job Category: Project Management
Job Type: Full Time
Our Client is an independent investment management firm, with offices in Nairobi - Kenya and D.C. Metro - U.S. Our Client is primarily focused on offering alternative investment solutions to global institutional investors, individual high net-worth investors, local institutional investors and diaspora investors interested in the East-African region. We currently have over Kshs. 74 billion of investments and projects under mandate, mainly in real estate.
Heading the Project Management Office for Newtown, the development manager will manage the entire development implemented in phases. The scope of management will involve overseeing delivery of the project, project planning, process control, execution, strategically positioning Newtown in the market nationally and internationally, stakeholder’s engagement and relationship management, lead the operations management of the completed development and oversee structuring of the development corporation to manage the town. The role also includes managing all the associated real estate services to the development.
The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to participate in both a strong incentive structure and equity ownership plan.
1. Working with the Project Management Office and Board of Directors to establish the operational structures for the Project.
2. Managing the entire project team involved in the various development departments to develop and deliver the master plan and vision for Newtown.
3. Manage the acquisition of all Planning approvals and ensure all associated statutory obligations are obtained
4. Lead and brief the delivery team on all Masterplan related matters, such as development quantum and land uses, compliance with approved design parameters, design codes, legal and planning obligations.
5. Stakeholder management and engagement to ensure all key utilities and infrastructure required for the project are availed.
6. Identifying the best and most economically viable planning and implementation strategy putting into consideration the critical milestones that will position the development among the most successful Vision 2030 cities.
7. Lead the team in setting up a development corporation to manage the completed development.
8. Manage the entire masterplan budget and internal resource planning.
9. Manage the internal approval process including meeting all financial budget requirements to ensure satisfaction with site-wide strategies and commercial appraisal outcomes.
10. Manage project risks, and where required contract negotiations and contract forms, also coordinating project resources and where necessary, tendering, negotiation and appointment of any Masterplan, town planning, legal and design consultants that may be required.
11. Lead on feasibility studies to assess commercial and other development proposals from external stakeholders and third parties, by proactively running design and commercial workshops with interested parties. Provide feedback and recommendations to Senior Management on the suitability of proposals in relation to meeting both vision and commercial objectives.
12. Coordinate with the Marketing and Communication Teams and input in marketing material to ensure that public messaging and internal and external marketing communication is effective.
13. Manage internal project expectations, balancing aspirational objectives with commercial constraints.
14. Guide teams through the design implementation process including conceptual, schematic, design development and construction documentation and sign off.
15. Develop and maintain Master Project Schedules.
16. Monitor project progress including schedule and budget variance; manage team to deliver project on budget and schedule.
17. Oversee vendor and project team members work to ensure compliance with contract and client expectations.
18. Coordinating every phase of development and any additional project management activities as may be required by the company
19. Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
1. Over ten years' experience in real estate development with at least or related field.
2. Global markets experience with developments in markets, for example, Dubai, is required.
3. Bachelor's degree with and any related professional paper is an added advantage.
4. Good people management skills are including the ability to manage Clients, Partners and Stakeholders, motivate and manage internal and external project teams.
5. Good understanding of town and country planning.
6. Commercial acumen and negotiation skills.
7. Excellent presentation and communication skills.
8. Experience in managing real estate development projects, preferably with global markets experience.
9. Experience must include demonstrable knowledge of real estate valuation techniques, project finance, development project cash flow modelling, public approvals and permitting/entitlement process.
10. Experience in managing contractors and architects through design and construction.
11. Track record of managing projects to budget and schedule.
12. Strong working knowledge of architectural drawings and space planning concepts.
13. Strong analytic skills, including ability to independently conduct real estate financial analysis.
14. Demonstrated ability to express ideas clearly, verbally and in writing.
15. Strong computer skills, including high level of proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
16. Demonstrated ability to cultivate and manage productive relationships with development team members, public officials, funders and lenders, other staff, and the community.
17. Ability to organise work, work independently, problem solve, and be persistent.
18. Creativity, entrepreneurial, and a self-driven attitude towards work.
19. Strong problem-solving skills, with a bias to a sense of urgency.