Position Details: Deputy Plant HR Manager
To assist the Plant HR Manager in managing the human resource activities at the client's Plant; Industrial Relations, Selection & placement, performance management, employee records management, support/ office services. It will be responsible for the promotion of a healthy working environment and ensuring compliance with national labour / statutory obligations.
- Lead the process for preparation on union negotiations
in liaison with the Plant Manager, guaranteeing that they are conducted in
accordance within legal requirements and providing data and arguments for
specific issues (e.g. annual salary negotiations, terms & conditions of
- Lead meetings with unions and employee representatives
with a view of getting amicable solutions to issues related to improving the
- Establish and maintain good relationships with union
and labour organisations and employee representatives;
- Handle grievances, queries and complaints of
union/work council’s employee representatives in relation with working
- In case of conflicts, identify and implement adequate
solutions that protect the Plant and employee interests leading to ensure
harmony and increased steady productivity in the work force..
- Sensitisation of employees on the Staff Handbook / CBA
Terms & conditions of service and other relevant management policies to
ensure full compliance at all levels of implementation.
- Overall responsibility for the annual appraisal process in the plant and ensuring that all actions arising thereof are implemented
Talent Management, Technical Training and Succession Planning,
- Support implementation of the development plans for the plant technical teams with a view to ensuring that the right skills and knowledge are available and transferable within the key plant teams. The role is also responsible for ensuring that there is a talent pipeline for all key positions in the Plant
Health & Safety
- Promote Health & Safety policies within the organisation geared towards an improved safe working environment that leads to high efficiency and productivity
Compensation & Benefits
- Assist the Plant HR Manager in managing the department budgets as relates to the plant. Draft sections of the budget that feed into the overall Plant annual operating and CAPEX budgets.
- Monitor the plant HR budget performance to realize value for money within the budgetary
Plant O&HR / Employee Relations function coordination
- Support the HROM to organise, structure, co-ordinate and efficiently manage the OHR team; set key goals, ensure their following-up and measure achievement against set goals for reward management.
- Manage the implementation of PeopleSoft within the plant and ensure efficient use of the system by the HR team and managers.
- Ensure reporting of OHR activities and results (especially for the OHR Review); regularly review KPI’s results and implement corrective actions when and where necessary
- As a team member, share O&HR practices with Lafarge’s HR network and participate in the Business Unit projects and initiatives in order to create synergies that promote best practices within the Lafarge group
Overall responsibility for welfare in the plant to include management of the estates, shared facilities and all contracts under human resources at the plant
- A University degree in Humanities / Human Resources Management / Social Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management.
- Experience of at least three years in a busy industrial setting handling Industrial Relations aspects.
- Knowledge of all HR management systems and tools.
- Knowledge of social regulations and labour laws
- Knowledge of safety regulations and rules applicable in an industrial environment
- Knowledge of group working and team management methods
- Knowledge of analytical method and organisation optimization
- Knowledge and/or experience of contract management.
- Computer knowledge of Ms Word, Excel, SAP and PeopleSoft
- Knowledge in conflict management and resolution
- Strong negotiation skills
- Effective Counselling skills
- Team leadership abilities and management methods
- Knowledge in the budgeting process interpretation of financial trends.
- Good analytical and interpretation skills on social and labour law related aspects
LEADERSHIP & BEHAVIOURAL SKILLS
- Understanding of others / Attentiveness
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Ability to influence and convince