Position / Designation : Instrument Technician
Grade : VI
Department : Engineering
Reporting Line Manager : Instrument Engineer
Location : Eldoret, Kenya
Educational Qualification : Diploma in Instrumentation and Control Engineering
Work Experience : Over 3 years’ work experience in highly-technical or Science Operations environment.
· Proven track record in Instrument maintenance activities
· Capable to identifies and resolves problems (out of box thinking) in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
· Adaptable to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
· Knowledgeable on legislation, procedure, machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
· Perform high degree of skill in the installation, maintenance, repairs and modifies control and instrumentation systems for plant production / process equipment and safety shutdown systems. Analyzes malfunctions of instruments and control systems, and determines necessary steps to repair equipment.
· Ensure proper operation of boiler and supply of steam to process plant.
· Record, integrate, regulate control instruments (such as pressure meters, flow and combustion meters, gauges, and control devices), repairs and adjusts indicating instruments;
· Disconnects inaccurate or damaged instruments and makes suitable replacements;
· Disassembles instruments, examines mechanisms, cleans parts, and replaces worn or broken parts;
· Assembles instruments, and checks via testing apparatus;
· Calibrates instruments and combustion controls to coincide with established standards
· Conducts scheduled inspections of instruments and makes adjustments to those not functioning properly.
· Weekly monitoring checks on safety and production critical equipment, reporting any deviation of set parameters and raise work orders in maintenance management system.
· Carry out fault finding and diagnostic checks on all platform equipment, ensuring any repairs are addressed promptly.
· Ensure critical spares are available and any discrepancies are addressed
· Carry out maintenance activities as directed by line manager in compliance with all working procedures and relevant standards.
· Maintain the process plant in a safe and efficient manner, in compliance with all legislative, environmental and company standards and procedures at all operations.
· Ensure proper documentation, work permits and work orders are in place on commencement of jobs in process plant.
· Ensure to tag all machines under maintenance and un-tag them for operation.
· Timely fault diagnosis to minimize on critical down time.
· Read, interpret and actualize instrumentation diagram control panels.
· Control circuit installations for AC voltages up to 415Vac.
· Instrument installations, trial and testing in accordance with stipulated operating standards.
· Safety shutdown systems design installation and commissioning.
· Data collection on instrumentation equipment for the purpose of condition monitoring,
· Performing preventive maintenance on instrumentation equipment including but not limited to; level transmitters, pressure transmitters, ultrasonic sensors, gamma ray sensors, control valves, pressure switches, mobbrey switches, loop controllers, PLCs workshop equipment and hand operated equipment.
· Daily report writing and hand over to next shift
· Handle any other duties assigned by management from time to time.
· The duties can be changed or added at the discretion of the management.
· Keep good reporting channel, and avoid over communication.
Key Performance Areas:
· Up-to-date instrumentation calibration data.
· Daily report writing.
· Zero accidents in section/department.
· Target 30minutes MTTR.
· 100% instrumentation availability for plant.
· 100% instrumentation maintenance as per SOP.