Position / Designation : Shift Chemist
Grade : V
Department : Quality Control
Reporting Line Manager : Process Engineer
Location : Eldoret, Kenya
Educational Qualification : Minimum HNC standard or equivalent in Chemistry.
Work Experience : Minimum 5 years’ experience in Chemical Industry.
· Problem solving ability (out of box thinking).
· An aptitude for numerical and statistical analysis.
· Computer literate. Fluent in all Microsoft applications.
· Work logically and make reasoned decisions based on experience and objective information.
· Hands on approach with the ability to work under pressure and prioritizes multiple tasks to tight deadlines.
· Ability to identify, interpret and clearly communicate technical data.
· Awareness of health, safety and laboratory best practice (ISO/IEC/17025)
· Develops, administers and coordinates quality control policies and programs throughout the organization.
· Sample and test process material to ensure products meets quality standards and indulges legal compliance and customer expectations.
· Establish company's quality procedures, sampling, statistical technique, standards and specifications system.
· Ensure standard procedures are duly followed in sample testing, analyzing, timely certifying and trends in corn-cob quality in regards to moisture and pentosane content prior to acceptance of consignment.
· Providing an efficient laboratory analysis service using a range of analytical techniques and interpreting technical data.
· Sampling and analysis of finished product and in process samples using instrumental, analytical and wet chemistry techniques.
· Identify and make adjustments for non-conforming batches and approve batches for release with accompanying documentation.
· Develop suitable methods for analysis materials and validating results.
· Working with purchasing staff to establish quality requirements from external suppliers.
· Ensure manufacturing or production processes meet international and national standards.
· Looking at ways to reduce waste and increase efficiency.
· Defining quality procedures in conjunction with operating staff.
· Setting up and maintaining controls and documentation procedures.
· Monitoring performance by gathering relevant data, producing statistical reports and methods of implementation.
· Assures consistent quality of production by developing and enforcing good automated manufacturing practice (GAMP) systems, validating processes, and providing documentation.
· Maintain all laboratory equipment, glassware, logs, corn-cob quality testing report, troubleshooting and resolving problems record in good / clean condition.
· Ensure all laboratory equipment are dully serviced, calibrated and stamped by relevant authorities.
· Maintains glassware by picking-up, cleaning, washing, sterilizing, and distributing.
· Maintain inventory, cleanliness of laboratory chemical stores and computerized scale systems by keeping units operational and current with formulations, monitoring and verifying records.
· Maintains factory processes and procedures to standard by using statistical methods for monitoring and charting. Notifying production supervisor of noncompliance.
· Perform analysis of samples for pre acceptance, scale treatment test to identify correct treatment method, solvent routing, external treatment, flow meter and strict regulatory legislation for effluent processing / discharge of waste materials.
· Releases materials by evaluating all results and visual inspection methods and determining status of non-deliverable or usable material.
Key Performance Areas:
· Timely sample test and result submission for process stabilization as per company stipulated SOPs.
· 100% laboratory availability for sample testing.
· 70% stock level for laboratory reagents and chemicals.
· Fortnight pentosane report for corn cob.
· Zero accidents, hazards and hazardous acts.
· 100% presence of only quality poles for treatment.
· Application of the 6% KPLC Standard of chemical strength on all poles.
· Ensure chemical retention on treated poles is 100%.
· 100% accurate and up to date laboratory records.