Billing Assistant & Executive PA
Client is a law firm offering legal services to select corporate and individual clientele which includes the top tier of local and international financial institutions, private equity funds, leading manufacturers and industrialists, international oil companies, international investors, print and electronic media houses, international and local non-governmental organizations as well as high net worth individuals.
The Billing Assistant & Executive PA is responsible for the completion of all facets of the billing function.
The Billing Assistant is expected to perform all job duties with a commitment to providing superior service to clients and associates while producing a high-quality work product.
The ability to multitask and prioritize is essential. Opportunities to expand responsibilities and progress within the Billing Services function are available for individuals based on strong performance and the desire to grow.
In regards to the Executive PA aspect of the job, you will work closely with senior managerial or directorial staff to provide administrative support, usually on a one-to-one basis.
You will help a manager to make the best use of their time by dealing with secretarial and administrative tasks.
Experience & Qualifications
• The ideal candidate for the Billing Assistant & Executive PA placement should hold a University degree in Business Administration, Secretarial Studies, Accounting, Economics.
• First Grade UACE & UCE qualifications.
• Additional requirements include a working knowledge of Word, intermediate Excel skills, outstanding customer service demeanour, and flexibility for possible overtime hours.
• Previous experience in using different software packages
Accounts Billing Assistant roles:
Administration of associate billing responsibilities:
• Perform client billing activities for assigned clients.
• Monitor aging of unbilled fees for assigned partners and/or clients.
• Meet with Finance Manager, Senior Billing Coordinators, and/or partners to discuss monthly billing, outstanding invoices.
• Remain current on all billing-related responsibilities.
• As requested, handle billing and client driven requests.
Generate Billable Work in Progress for each assigned partner at the beginning of each month, after the time entry deadline.
• Prepare billing packages for each assigned partner (draft cover letters, invoices).
• Review Billing Information Memos for misallocated time and ensure time entries are in accordance with client policy.
• Communicate new/changes in client policies to timekeepers.
Edit draft invoices based on partners’ mark-up. This can include:
• Time/cost transfers; investigate appropriateness of where entries should be billed.
• Time entry narrative changes with respect to additions, corrections, deletions.
• Verify client specific rate accommodations and if necessary, apply approved discounts to the face of the invoices; keep track of volume discounts based on thresholds reached.
• Generate billing variance reports and write-off reports.
• Prepare electronic invoices in 3E System; submit electronic invoices to clients via email or hardcopy respectively and verify successful submissions.
• Establish working relationships with 3e-billing team; make certain all timekeepers and rates are up-to-date on the sites; submit timekeepers and rates for approval as needed.
• Ensure three way communications between e-billing team, client and the Firm
• Track status of bills submitted, identify issues, and work to address rejections and
reductions as they arise.
Monitor payment of assigned clients’ accounts receivable and coordinate collection efforts.
• Proactive follow-up with the Billing Manager, Senior Billing Coordinators, partners, and clients.
• Collaborate with Billing and Collection Committee members and/or Financial Managers to coordinate billing and collection efforts.
• Provide assistance to partners and clients regarding outstanding and/or short paid invoices.
• Communicate situations as they arise that may require follow-up, such as rate issues, delays in billing, difficult requests, etc.
Personal Assistant Roles
• Front desk admin and reception desk duties.
• Have a good typing speed necessary for typing of agreements, correspondence letters, email correspondences and assist with typing other commercial documents, etc.
• Assist with adhoc administration duties
• Diary management, co-ordination of appointments and meetings for Partners
• Coordinate Travel arrangements i.e. booking flights, accommodation, seminars, conferences, etc.
• Client interaction both verbal and written i.e. email correspondences, and telephonic correspondences
• Telephone duties including effective screening and problem resolution i.e. handle account queries
• General administration – filing and storage of sensitive information i.e. schedule of documents stored in safe, e-mails and provide general practice area assistance
• Coordinate despatch and collections of documents i.e. letters, cheques, etc.
• Assist with compiling updated matter/file numbers list including cleaning up the client matter list to eliminate dormant ones
• Self-starting, taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required, being proactive from a departmental perspective
Planning and organising
• Establishes priorities, manages schedules and be able to plan time and resources within a pressurised environment
• Relates well to all kinds of people, both inside and outside the organization. Builds appropriate rapport and maintains constructive and effective relationships. Uses diplomacy and tact in order to work effectively within a team environment, as well as independently
• Sets high goals or standards of performance for self, producing work timeously, accurately and of a consistently high standard
• Is able to work overtime occasionally and able to adapt and embrace change by adapting to new assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced, highly demanding environment is required.
• Excellent oral, written and presentation skills in English
• Organisational awareness
Good business awareness, understanding of the implications of events within the organisation and the understanding of networking internally and externally, data management and filing, knowledge of mailing system
• Written Communication (verbal and written)
Able to express ideas clearly, produce documents that have appropriate organisation and structure, correct grammar and language such as report writing, writing minutes, preparing presentations